Olive harvesting is one of the most important agricultural activities in countries such as Spain, Greece, Italy and Turkey, which are the main olive producers in the world. It is a crucial process for the production of olive oil and table olives.
Normally, olive harvesting takes place between October and March in the northern hemisphere. The method of harvesting depends on the type of olive and the region in which it is grown. The two most common techniques are manual and mechanized harvesting.
Manual harvesting is carried out using portable tree shakers, rakes or branch shakers. Workers harvest the olives by hand and place them in sacks or baskets. This method is laborious and labor-intensive.
On the other hand, mechanized harvesting is a much faster and more efficient process. Within mechanized harvesting, there are several types:
– Olive tree shakers are used to shake the trees and collect the olives, and can be installed on a tractor or on one of our buggies, either by using bales or with a vibrating umbrella.
– Olive tree shaker machines are vehicles that incorporate an olive vibrator with which to vibrate the trees and thus harvest the olives.
– Olive harvesters are machines dedicated to harvesting olives in super-intensive olive plantation frames, in which the machine manages to do all the thinning operation by itself, passing over the trees in hedges, arranged in rows.
– Olive sweepers are vehicles equipped with a sweeping system that collects the olives from the ground.
Benefits of using an olive harvester
Undoubtedly, using an olive harvester presents a number of benefits, including:
1. Increased efficiency: olive harvesters can harvest olives faster and more efficiently than hand picking. This reduces the need for manual labor and speeds up the production process.
2. Reduced costs: using an olive harvester can reduce production costs in the long run, as less labor is required for harvesting.
3. Increased accuracy: an olive harvester can pick olives more carefully and accurately, which helps preserve the quality of the harvest.
4. Less damage to trees: Olive harvesters are gentler on trees and can reduce the risk of damage compared to other types of harvesting.
How much does an olive harvesting machine cost?
The cost of an olive harvester can vary widely depending on the model and brand.
In addition to the cost of purchasing an olive harvester, it is also important to consider maintenance and repair costs. It is advisable to invest in a quality harvester to avoid long-term problems and ensure a long service life.
Another factor to consider is the size of the farm. If the farm is small, hand harvesting may be more economical and practical. However, if the farm is large, an olive harvester can be a profitable and efficient investment in the long term.
It is important to keep in mind that an olive harvester requires a trained operator and experience in its use. If you do not have the necessary experience, it is advisable to hire a trained professional to operate the harvester.
At Moresil we specialize in agricultural equipment for harvesting olives and other fruits.